While in school and outside in the community all students must wear school uniform in the acceptable way, which promotes the school positively to our visitors and the wider community.
We are proud of our students and we believe that our uniform has helped to improve and expand academic excellence in the following ways:
- Instilling students with discipline.
- Helping parents and students resist peer pressure.
- Helping students concentrate on their school work because they are dressed for learning.
- Encouraging an improvement in student behaviour through a greater sense of school unity and identity.
We therefore expect all students to wear their uniform with pride, whether they are in school or outside in the community as they travel to and from school. In short, they should be ‘dressed for learning’ as they are representative of our school community and must wear school uniform in the acceptable way:
- Shirts should be tucked into skirt/shorts or trousers at all times.
- The stripes and badge on the tie should be worn below the tie knot.
- The blazer is a compulsory item and should be worn at all times. (Students will be advised not to wear blazers during heatwaves)
- The V-neck jumper is optional and may be worn during cold weather beneath the blazer.
Note: Only the school shirt and jumper may be worn beneath the blazer
- Sensible black shoes without markings or brand names. Shoes should be full and cover the whole foot with a sturdy sole for health and safety reasons.
- Brown shoes, trainers, ankle boots, ‘slipper shoes’ (with no backs) are NOT allowed.
- Outdoor coats should be navy blue or black, without brand names.
- Hat/hoods or hooded-tops and leisurewear are not permitted. Such items are not outdoor coats and should not be worn.
- Non – uniform, ‘own clothes rewards days’, we expect our students to dress modestly (eg no shorts or low cut tops) and appropriately for a school environment.
Our uniform consists of the following items:
Sensible black shoes without markings or brand names. Shoes should be full and cover the whole foot with a sturdy sole for health and safety reasons.
- Navy blue school blazer, badged (compulsory)
- Navy blue school tie, with stripes worn below the knot (compulsory):
Year 7 = Blue Stripe
Year 8 = Red Stripe
Year 9 = White Stripe
Year 10 = Gold Stripe
Year 11 = Green Stripe
- Plain white school shirt (tucked in to skirt/trousers)
- Navy blue V-necked jumper with school logo (Optional item)
- Plain black or white socks or Plain black or grey tights
To go with these:
- Mid-grey tailored school knee-length wide-pleated skirt/Mid-grey tailored school knee-length Shorts or mid-grey/charcoal or black straight tailored school trousers, which must have:
- A front zip fastening
- A waistband
Skirts should be knee length and certainly no more than 5cm above the knee. They should be loose fitting and have a boxed pleat. NB Skirts in all waist sizes and in all lengths are available through our suppliers – please refer to your child’s Student Support Leader if you are experiencing difficulty in sourcing the correct length of school skirt.
Jewellery must not be worn during PE lessons
- Polo Shirt – Navy/Sky Blue with Badge
- Shorts – Navy Blue with Badge or/ Leggings – Navy Blue with WHS branding
- Socks – Navy/Sky Blue Top or/ plain trainer socks
- Swimsuit – One Piece, Navy Blue Preferred or Swimming Shorts, Navy Blue Preferred
- Trainers – Any Colour
- Towel – Any Colour
- Track Suit – Navy with School Badge (optional)
- Rugby Jersey – Navy/Sky Blue with Badge (optional)
Hairstyles, Makeup & Jewellery
The following hairstyles, hair colours and headwear are not considered appropriate for school:
- Unnatural coloured hair
- Extreme hairstyles
- Excessive hair accessories
Scarves which are prescribed as part of religious dress may be worn as deemed appropriate.
Makeup and cosmetics
The school rules on makeup and cosmetics are as follows:
- Makeup may be worn if it is natural in appearance. Excessive make-up, tanning products and false eyelashes are not permitted.
- Nail polish may be worn if it is natural in appearance. Coloured polish, acrylic and false nails are not permitted.
The school rules on jewellery are as follows:
- One pair of stud earrings may be worn – no hanging or loop earrings other piercings are permitted.
- A smart and sensible wrist watch may be worn.
106 Deansgate, Bolton. BL1 1BD. Tel: 01204 389485
Units 5, 6 & 7 Black Horse Street, Bolton, BL1 1SY. Tel: 01204 392610
Andrew Leach Sports & Schoolwear
78-80 Lee Lane, Horwich BL6 7AE. Tel: 01204 697624
87-89 Bradshawgate, Leigh. WN7 4ND. Tel: 01942 609447
Westhoughton market, Westhoughton, BL5 3AZ. Tel: 07719 563593
8 Market Street, Atherton, M46 0DN. Tel: 01942 665155
Acceptable and Unacceptable Uniform
While it is easy to ensure that specific uniform items such as the blazer, jumper and tie which carry logos are as expected, items that can be purchased from a range of high street stores are more difficult to standardise. If in any doubt, please contact your child’s Student Support leader to clarify before making purchases.
Shoes: Any sportwear brand (adidas, nike etc) is not accepted as a suitable shoe. Shoes should be entirely black and leather or a leather style in appearance. Canvas shoes, high heels and boots are not permitted.
Skirts should be knee length and certainly no more than 5cm above the knee. They should be loose fitting and have a boxed pleat. NB Skirts in all waist sizes and in all lengths are available through our suppliers – please refer to your child’s Student Support leader if you are experiencing difficulty in sourcing the correct length of school skirt.
Please view our uniform policy here.